Today is my 34th Birthday and birthdays always make me reflective. I think of past years and of what I’ve accomplished over the last 12 months and I also think about my plans for the future.
I don’t believe any of us were born with the foresight to know what’s coming next, but I can safely say when I was a little girl I didn’t expect that grown-up Emma would be an overweight, childless, divorcee, who has returned to education and only works part-time. However whilst all the above are true, my life is a pretty good one. I am lucky enough to be in a wonderful relationship with my best friend, I am childless by choice and financially secure enough to be able to return to education. I have the best friends & family you could imagine, age and testing times have really taught me that it’s not quantity but quality when it comes to friendship and oh boy! my friends are the best. I have also had some amazing experiences travelling over the last few years and hopefully have lots more to come. So really it’s all about perspective.
With the future in mind I thought I would share with you my 40 under 40 bucket list. This list is actually quite personal and whilst there are lots of travel/ light hearted things on there, there are also some things that mean a great deal to who I am as a person.
I actually wrote this around the start of the year and shared it over on my insta-stories but I thought it would be nice to share it here too….please be kind.
These are in no particular order. Here goes….
- Visit 7 new countries.
- Own a dog.
- Drive CONFIDENTLY.
- Fly alone – I have travelled on my own all over Europe by rail but I have never been on a plane without friends or family.
- Visit Windsor Castle.
- Get a private pension.
- Come off birth control – I do not plan to have children, but I have been on hormonal birth control for a long time and in the next few years I would like to come off it all together.
- Visit the USA.
- Visit the Rollright Stones in Oxfordshire.
- Visit a different Disneyland – I have been to Paris, I would like to go to California or Florida next.
- See the Northern Lights.
- Continue on my fitness and weight loss journey until I get to a place I feel strong and healthy. I don’t want my weight to impact my quality of life or adventures.
- Visit Arthurs Seat in Edinburgh Scotland.
- Get my teeth cosmetically fixed – I would like my teeth whitened and straightened. This is purely a vanity thing but I will feel a lot more confident when I have them done.
- Run a 5k – I know for some people this is nothing, but this would be a huge achievement for me.
- Find a new way to help charities each year- I like to actually get involved as I currently have the time, rather than just donating money.
- Do a boudoir photoshoot (Ooh la la!)
- Stand in a fantastic waterfall.
- Sleep in a haunted house.
- Learn 3 more languages to be polite in – Whilst I am very far from being fluent, my basic French is ok, I can ask where things are, how much things are, order food and drink and buy tickets. Also I can generally understand the French response too. I’d like to be able to do that in other languages.
- Buy a house to live in.
- Visit Purton Ships Graveyard in Gloucestershire.
- Go on a cruise.
- Go to Pride.
- Visit a lavender field.
- Make a wish in the Trevi Fountain in Rome.
- Spend a Christmas on a hot beach.
- Visit the Ice hotel in Sweden.
- Have an internet free week at least once a year (I have already done this once in 2018 and will hopefully do it again soon)
- Sleep in a castle.
- Visit Barry Island in Wales with my friend – Carly Mills.
- Visit Giants Causeway in Ireland.
- Break the law – Now I appreciate this is a controversial one but I don’t think I have ever broken the law, unless you maybe count (very occasional) underage drinking, but that was a long time ago. I don’t know how I’d do this, but it will have to be a safe, victimless crime….hmmmm.
- Visit “Pig Beach” in the Bahamas, where you can swim with all the wild pigs.
- Find a job I love – As you may know I’ve been working part time for quiet a while now and my job is fine, I certainly don’t hate going to work and working part time allows me time to study for my accountancy degree. I’ve had lots of jobs over the years but it would be great if I could find a job that I’m crazy passionate about.
- See the Mermaid statue in Denmark.
- Go to the top of the Empire State Building.
- Walk along some of the Great Wall of China.
- I’ve left the least likely until last…. Fly in a private jet. I don’t mean one of those small planes you can go around places like the Isle of Wight in. I mean a private jet like Air Force One (Not actually Air Force One)
I’d love to hear some of the things on your bucket lists!